NOTE: The below message is for Challenger. AA and Club teams will get further info this week by email and here.
We are very disappointed to announce that due to COVID-19 and the resulting safety restraints put in place by the state and county governments and the Alpine School District, we are having to cancel our Spring season altogether. In part this is due to the risks of congregating for games, and in part this is due to the understandable reluctance of the school district to allow gatherings on their fields, where most of our games are played.
Our best information at present is that we will be able to play a normal season this fall. Surreal as it may seem in these circumstances, NUCS is in fact opening registration for Fall 2020 / Spring 2021 soccer on Monday, April 27th.
In recognition of your child missing the benefit of our Spring season, we are automatically applying a $10 credit towards registration for our Fall 2020 / Spring 2021 season. This will lower the price of registration during the early-bird period (April 27 - May 31) from $85 to $75. For the rest of the registration period (June 1 - June 15), the price will be $85.
We sincerely hope you will register your child. Registration is available online at NUCSonline.com. Early-bird registration ends on May 31st.
If pandemic conditions are such that we can play neither Fall 2020 nor Spring 2021 seasons, we would refund 100% of your registration fee.
On a related note, we do not currently expect to be able to offer our usual summer soccer camps. However, if conditions change, we will notify you via our website nucsonline.com.
In addition, for youth born before 2012, we will continue to have our AA competition program and our Club teams. However, in the current environment, tryouts cannot be held. So please watch for email from us, and keep an eye on our website for updates on how to participate in those programs in addition to or instead of Challenger.
We are very grateful that we were able to have such a successful Fall 2019 season with great weather and unburdened by knowledge at the time of the coming pandemic.
There is an article in the Deseret News on April 23, 2020 about how this is the “New Now”, not the “New Normal”. In the last 103 years, four major events of this kind have briefly affected the United States. The four situations were World War I, the Spanish Flu Pandemic (where some people were quarantined as we are now), the Great Depression, and World War II.
In each case, however, our country and its people did what was necessary to overcome the obstacle and within months or years, were back to “mostly” the former normal. We believe that in this case as well, in a matter of months we will be back to a slightly modified normal, and our kids will be able to enjoy soccer and other athletic and social activities again.
Lastly, we at NUCS hope this message finds you and your family well. You have our best wishes for safe navigation of these challenging times.
Challenger: As we have no definitive guidance for being able to play on May 2nd, we are pushing our hopeful and tentative start date, ( with a 3 game season) to May 16th.
District AA: Updates to be here soon.
State Comp League: Updates to be here soon.
Challenger schedules will be posted by the middle of the week. Still planning on a start of May 2.
Based on new state and local guidelines, the earliest we could start the challenger and AA programs is May 2nd.
If that timeline holds, it would be a maximum 5 game season. Starting May 2
If we can start May 2nd, we would have our end of season tournament start May 2, just without the season :-(
Still waiting for further information from the state. But nothing would be happening before May 2.
For the sake of our members' safety and in an effort to be supportive of our government leaders and those who might be most susceptible to the virus, we are suspending NUCS soccer team practices effective immediately until further notice. As things are changing daily, we will continue to monitor the situation and update the website as new information or changes become available.
Dear NUCS Soccer Families,
We would like to share with you our plans for dealing with the uncertainty currently surrounding us.
First, realize that the safety of your children is of the utmost importance. We plan to follow the guidance from the Federal and Utah State governments and our parent organization, the Utah Youth Soccer Association.
We have three levels of soccer to coordinate. Recreation/Challenger , District/AA, Club/State.
We present below some generalities that cover all three levels, and some specifics for each level. Our plan A, is for our season to proceed as close to as regularly scheduled as possible, but we are also making contingency plans.
Updates to the information below, will be updated on this page, above these original paragraphs.
Guidance for All Levels
Practices can be held. These are at the coach’s discretion, and consistent with current government recommendations of gatherings of 10 persons or fewer. Players must not be discriminated against if they choose not to participate
As the current environment seems to work in 2 week periods, we will try and use that same time frame. So, we will keep you updated, here on the website, in weekly increments, for 2 weeks in advance. For example, on April 4th. We will indicate if the season will actually start on April 18th. If it will not, we will tell you the next anticipated start date.
Because we feel getting some physical exercise can benefit our kids in addition to learning and refining soccer skills, we will begin posting skills training that can be done individually or with siblings and household items. These will begin to be posted on approximately March 20th. So, please check back for soccer activities for your kids.
Alpine city has asked that no practices be held on city parks until at least March 30th.
Alpine School District has asked that no games be scheduled until at least March 30th. Practices in small numbers should be ok.
Recreation/Challenger Specific Guidance
We will have a complete schedule posted by April 4, 2020. Games will be scheduled to start on April 18th and end on May 30th.
However, if authorities have not sanctioned activities to begin for April 18th, we will push the start date forward one week to April 25th.
As we cannot shift the season into the summer, this unfortunately would reduce the spring schedule from 7 games to 6. This process will continue, going forward each week until we get to the end of the season on May 30th.
District/AA Specific Guidance
The season was scheduled to start on March 28th. Because that day falls within government mandated social limitation guidelines, we are going to push the start date to April 11th.
April 11th, is the last day of ASD spring break and we normally would not schedule games on this Saturday. But it is anticipated that a minimal amount of arrangements have been made for spring break week this year. We are going to try and have as many games scheduled, including our annual tournament between April 11th and mid May.
Normally, we seed for the tournament based on the spring season, this year, we will having a random drawing to seed for the tournaments pool play, as we have a shortened season. We hope to have he revised AA schedule published by March 20th.
Club/State Specific Guidance
Because the state organization handles this schedule entirely, we know nothing except that the season was pushed from a March 16th start date to March 30th. As of now, we are expecting that it will be starting on March 30th, and hope that if that changes, we get word soon.
Thank you for your patience,
The NUCS/UCSC Board